Shabby

Friday, October 22, 2010

Rubbery Legs!

I've been praying for some time (off and on since March) that God would bridge the gap between my neighbors and myself. The off and on part is because sometimes I'm pretty selfish and just want to walk up to my house (on the 5th floor) and not see anyone I know on the way up or be invited for a visit. But alas, I know in my heart of hearts, I didn't move to Kosova to not know people- haha! He's provided a few friends during the past months. But I continue to pray for openings and ways to reach out to them...and God answers!

Tonight I was so blessed by the Lord to arrive home from our village outreach to see my neighbors, from right below me, outside the building stacking wood. I debated whether or not it was a blessing for a few minutes in the car. I spent some time calculating what all this would involve. You see, I've lived here 2+ years and I know exactly what wood means, and this family lived on the 4th floor of my building. But I also had learned earlier today that this family doesn't have a dad (just found out that he divorced the mom- probably to have a younger, more fun model). So, after calling my roommate and asking how to correctly say a few phrases I was going to be needing, I stepped out of the car and into their lives.

I'm not going to lie, many times as I went up and down the stairs I was blaming God for getting me in this situation. All the other neighbors were content to watch us labor up and down the stairs. And yes, my legs feel like rubber now. But my heart is full. They were so grateful, and I was able to open a door into their lives...simply by using one of my languages of love: service. And how wonderful that God blessed me with this ability to help them! Had it been translating or spending oodles of time talking in Albanian, I wouldn't have walked over and introduced myself. But our amazing God knows!

And I truly think He gives each one of us these opportunities each day. Since my chosen job requires me to be honest (hehe), I will say that I pass most of them up. I am "too busy" reaching out to "such and such" a people in my own way that I don't have time to stop and help the elderly lady who is struggling with her bags home. Or I am so focused on my meetings that I don't care to do whatever it is that He places right in front of me. Or maybe I should be really honest: I am too busy saving money for myself, counting down the hours till I can rest, or some other idea or plan with me at the center. But every week God brings me to my knees, and I cry out to Him to give me another chance. To help me have His eyes to see deep into people's hearts. And what an incredible Lord- He always does.

I just want to encourage you all. I know that these things are hard, that often we feel guilty or overwhelmed. But let me tell you, as I sit here with wobbly legs and a hurting back- I'm glad that I followed my heart! And I will be glad again when I attend the birthday party for the oldest daughter that I just got invited to.
God is good!
Amen

No comments: