Shabby

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Word Pictures

I was trying to think of something clever to depict my city a bit more, so I came up with the idea of word pictures- basically it is short stories that give you a picture of what life is like here...enjoy!

- Yesterday I was walking down my driveway and there was a herd of mangy, gross-looking horses trying to come up to the house complex where I am living. There was also a small woman dressed in her house clothes throwing rocks at them so they wouldn't. It made me chuckle (no, no animals were hurt in the making of this story).

- My city, Peja (Pe-yah), got its first stop light near the downtown...most people are obeying it.

- Got a package yesterday of the things I had to leave in Paris- it was pretty shredded and bagged up. It contained one grey right flip-flop, one blue right flip-flop, and one black left slipper (along with other stuff that was half there)...Hmmm!

- Walls that are on the exterior of your house or apartment get covered in black mold in the winter because houses here have no, I repeat, no insulation.

- It is normal to water the sidewalks and streets here (mostly in the spring and summer when the dust is filling the air). It keeps the dust down, but it also makes walking disgusting as your pants and shoes get muddy (attempting to wear flip-flops is dangerous)!

- The call to prayer goes off 5 times a day- mostly it is ignored.

- There is a Catholic church, a Serbian Orthodox monastery (guarded by Italian soldiers), the church plant I go to, and dozens of mosques- all in my small city.

- The people here almost all have dark brown hair, brown eyes, and darker tinted skin than me. I stick out like a sore thumb with my light brown hair, hazel eyes, and moderately dark skin...

- It is normal to hear fireworks and gunshots outside your house- they are all being fired up in the air, not at other people, don't worry! It doesn't even make me flinch at all anymore...haha!

* I will try to brainstorm some more later on- thanks for touring my city with me!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Love the city tour. Will probably use some of that at the parent meeting next week. I don't have to pay any copyright fees do I?
Some questions:
1)have you ever thrown rocks at cows?
2)do you plan to wear your blue right flipflop with your black left slipper?
3)you have 'moderately dark skin'?
Thanks for the post and for serving our great God. Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, especially the moderately dark skinned ones.