Shabby

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Eek...Fasting!

This is one of my least favorite topics to talk about, and even more so my absolute least favorite to partake in. Oh man, there is something about fasting that I truly just loathe. I know it has to do with my flesh and it's craving for ease and comfort. Somehow I've mastered living life in ways that I put myself in circumstances that I have to do without. However, it is an entirely different thing to do without when you have it sitting right in front of you! I so often convince myself that fasting for me is pointless cuz I just sit there and try my hardest to pray and think on other things besides the fact that I feel I am starving and that I feel this discipline is pointless right then. The funniest part of it all is that I often skip meals and go a long time during the day before eating. But that's only if I am doing other things and haven't made a conscience effort to not eat...

And so in the midst of all that, I still know that it is a good discipline to do and do regularly. I am just really terrible at it, if we were honest here. And so today, once again, I tried to humble my heart, my desires, and place Him and His desires above my own. There have been some things going on in life that really needed prayer, so I committed to fast this morning. Don't laugh, but I made it to noon before caving in! (I can truly rationalize my way out of anything when it comes to fasting) And as I got up to get my raspberry yogurt out of the fridge that had been calling my name for a few hours, the mosques nearby began their mid-morning call to prayer. And I had to stop and think. What an amazing God I serve. Who doesn't look at me and see my inability to serve and love Him with my whole heart this morning. Who doesn't judge and say, "When are you going to learn to just deny yourself? You would be much better off if you would just listen and obey Me!" He's not ashamed or embarrassed He called one so pathetic as me. I don't have to fast for a month to earn His favor like the people surrounding me believe. I don't have to pray on my face 5 times a day to win His approval... Somehow in the midst of all my faults; He delights in me, with all my weaknesses and imperfections.

Rejoice, you have a God who loves you, delights in you, cherishes you, and has given you the amazing opportunity to share Him, the Greatest of All Gifts, with those around you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I have a similar struggle with fasting.. I can skip meals all the time without even thinking about it- but when the moment comes and I just have to do it ONE day (3 meals and then I can get back to my routine) it is the strangest thing. And I can relate to the thoughts of whether or not fast "works" for me because it usually makes it harder to pray and concentrate when all im thinking about is how much I'm sacrificing by not going to grabsomething to eat rather than looking at my awesome God.. but you are right and thanks for the challenge to make it "not so weird". :)

christina said...

Thanks for sharing my sentiments! ;-)

How are things going with your friend and your own heart? Praying for you as I type this!

Jeff said...

I'm in FL on work again and eating out every meal. I will definitely have to skip a few when I get home. Praise God for loving us and considering us his "pride and joy" no matter what we do or how we act.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the prayers.. it has been tough to say the least. I miss her A LOT, but she is dancing and singing in the light of His face. God is good- Because of His compassions we are not consumed -hanging on to Him (trying) to let Him heal..

thanks again :)