Shabby

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Shutting Borders, Shutting Hearts

In the aftermath of the European Union deciding to close their borders, my heart is reeling. I assumed it was going to happen, but I am still in shock. The more I've thought about this choice on their part, the more I can see the idolatry and shallowness of the West.

I live in one of the richest countries in the world. In connection with that fact are glimpses of comfort/ease being the king ruler of all things in our desires. If something is in the least bit difficult or slightly hard, someone will invent something to remove the work and pain out of the task. Also, walking away from challenging things, like marriage, is very common. Nannies, daycares, and teachers are given the responsibility of raising our children in many places. We pump our meat and vegetables full of hormones (and then antibiotics) to make them more pleasing to our eyes and tongue. These products, along with millions of other things engineered simply for satisfaction, are acquired by aimlessly perusing grocery store aisles on our way between sitting at a desk and sitting in front of a TV. What do we know of hardship, of suffering, of deep pain, of hunger...? I've lived in the two poorest places in my city these past years, and what I've found is children who throw free food away at school and homeless people who want cash and reject food. The majority of our poorest people aren't really in dire need!

There's a passage I've been thinking upon these past days: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God..." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) What happens when a people group has insulated themselves from needing comforting by padding their lives with ease and flees affliction at all costs? I just lost my mom a year ago and there were few people around me who knew how to provide comfort for my hurting heart. Why? Because we medicate our hardships- the addictions I see in the lives of those surrounding me are numerous (cell phones, TV shows, busyness, social media, etc). Suffering produces a depth to our lives that is needed to provide comforting to another. If we refuse to plummet the deep waters of pain ourselves, how can we go there with someone else?

When I think about the refugees I met last month, they are no different than my neighbors and friends here. Many were very educated, they loved their families deeply, they were in search of somewhere they could work hard, be safe, and even contribute to economically. A war interrupted their lives! These people aren't scum trying to mooch off of the wealth and prosperity of others who've worked harder and 'done life better' than themselves. They are some of the most afflicted people on this planet right now, in search of comforting and help. Sadly, the places with the most resources have been repulsed by their suffering and have shut their doors in fear. Fear that these people might rob them of their idols and some of the pain might seep into their bubble of safety and ease. If I am being honest, I am truly disgusted at this reaction! Especially in the Church... I can't understand how we can turn our heads away and do nothing. Where is Jesus?
"Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? And when did we see You a stranger and welcome You, or naked and clothe You? And when did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these My brothers, you did it to Me.'"
Jesus is in their midst! Do you have eyes to see this? A heart that cares? Please let go of your idols and comforts to feed, welcome, clothe, heal, visit, and pray for those among you in dire need. He's watching and waiting, Church- ARISE!

1 comment:

mindalou said...

Sometimes just feel Oslo powerless in the face of such overwhelming suffering and evil. Thank you for reminding me that our God is bigger and it is our hearts that should be moved to action and compassion. Love your heart sweet friend! Thanks for sharing it!!