Shabby

Monday, March 28, 2016

Fight vs. Rest

I've found that those who are engaged in matters involving injustice throughout the world (myself being lumped into that category) are often some of the most passionate fighters I've ever met. It's almost like God stamped 'right and wrong' upon our eyes and everything is viewed through these lenses. Having worked with children, I can often predict which of them have this gift/curse as well. They can sometimes be found on the sidelines because other children aren't playing fairly, in their perspective. Or they can be found advocating the  rights of their peers or a lost puppy. There can often times be a lot of arguing with them, because when the world is black and white, any grey areas can be hard to swallow.

I mention children, because they are typically the most unfiltered, extreme versions of passion. My poor family had a lot to put up with me: "I will NEVER listen to country music", "I will NEVER eat ice cream", "I will NEVER shop at _____", etc. (and just imagine that 'etc.' to be a VERY long list!) However, there are many adults that don't experience the humbling and mellowing out that the hard knocks of life bring. Obstinate, pushy, controlling, and opinionated are all words that could be used to describe adults who never grew out of their child-like passionate state.

But the reality is that being a fighter, or a passionate person, is a gift from God in many ways. When I look throughout history I see thousands of people that lined this path: Peter, Luther, Mother Teresa, David Livingstone, Amy Carmichael... to name a few known people. Reading these, and other, biographies can be an interesting undertaking. They accomplished massive amounts of good, things that the average person never would've been able to, but at the same time, many of them were very difficult, if not impossible, to work alongside. I'm finding that partly that might be due to them not knowing when to fight and when to rest. Or maybe what is the true fight and what is not.

Throughout my years of being an adult I've been aware of numerous (my pride wants that word instead of thousands) occasions where I've been so dull and blind that it wasn't until significantly later that I could even recognize that it was myself (or worse: God) that I was indeed fighting against. The fights with one's self are very brutal and bloody, not to mention costly! I'm quicker at recognizing them these days, but I can't yet go so far as saying they never occur. Letting things go is likely one of the hardest parts of being a fighter. Accompanying that would the topic of resting.

I would say the Scriptural version of rest (or Sabbath) could be equated to letting things go and simply be in God's hands. To take a day off of working or to not collect more manna for tomorrow requires deep trust in Jehovah Jireh! To know the line of when it is time to "love mercy", when it is time to "seek justice", and when it is time to simply "walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8) Trust is a hard thing for a fighter, because we are used to making things happen. To let something go feels impossible. But, as I learn more and more each year, to let things go is to actually accomplish much more!
"Unless the LORD builds the house, the laborers work in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain."
Psalm 127:1

No comments: