Shabby

Monday, May 23, 2011

Cemeteries and such

I have a weird hobby- I love to walk through cemeteries. Some of my best writing has taken place there, as I sit among the gravestones and think deep thoughts and ponder life. For me, it is just a special place. God feels near. Just a reminder how short life is, the importance of wisely investing the gift you've been given, or even getting a glimpse of the values and ideals of the culture. Today I walked through a deserted Serbian cemetery on the outskirts of town. It has become my new favorite place here. Not only is it abandoned for being a cemetery, it is Serbian as well. No Albanian in their right mind would step foot there. So, it is highly likely that I will be visiting there again. Until then, here's some pictures I took today.

Sisters. For some reason, this touches my heart immensely.

Uh-oh...Someone escaped!

In-laid on the top of the grave.



Here are some from a few other places:

US- She was 1 years old...

US- I so want this kind of gravestone. 
Just a simple rock!

Croatia- a grave for a soldier. 
He looks like he's weeping green tears...

England- Yes, folks, you can indeed take it with you!

England- who puts a cross/skull bones on their family member's tomb? Were they poisoned or something??

England- lovely!

Kosovo- Serbian Monastery outside my city- 
one of the oldest in existence!


Holland- You actually rent graves here and after your family stops paying rent, they dig you up and someone else gets your spot. Eh, you do what you've got to do in the small country you have!

US- Where else would you make a gravestone for your cat? Oh, and that cat lived an incredible amount of time: 1918-1937. This tomb always baffles me...



I told you that I was obsessed... 
Maybe I need some professional help!



*Went back a week later- found these:



Can you see the skull and leg bone in there? They're green...
Haha- not sure that's 'up to code' for any cemetery!


Yes, that grave is open as well...
Here's what's inside!



Gross, I know- but also quite humorous.
(pun intended...think about your arm bones!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand the draw of cemeteries, particularly old ones. The old ones remind me that in time, even the greatest achievers are relegated to the same end as the lowliest.

Mark W.