Shabby

Friday, February 27, 2009

Strawberry?!?


When I moved over to Eastern Europe, I was hit with the harsh reality (harsh because I am from a nation that has anything I want when I want it at my fingertips) that fruit (and veggies) is indeed seasonal!!! I can't just have a pear, some grapes, or a kiwi to accompany my meal or for a snack. I have to wait until they are in season. And while that does sound logical, it was hard for me to grasp at first (don't laugh!). It is difficult to not have fresh fruits and vegtables to eat during the winter months. I have missed them.
So, enter today. My team leader's wife brought a bowl of cut up strawberries to my house this afternoon when I was taking a much needed nap. I woke up to find them sitting on the table and just stared at them for a minute in disbelief. My mind knew what they were, my heart just wasn't believing it was true. So, I just finished enjoying two strawberries. They are not fully ripe yet, but they are the best strawberries that I have ever tasted (it has been over 6 months since I had any).
I would like to encourage all of you to go out and get some strawberries (or whatever your favorite fruit is) and enjoy them thoroughly, with the mindset that what you are partaking in isn't reality for most of the world. It is a blessing to eat that strawberry! :)
Happy Eating!!!

1 comment:

Tim & Jamie said...

I know what you're talking about! We actually just started getting them here. At first, I saw them in Tirana for about $8!! So after longing for them for 6 months also, I walked away from them. Now, they're still expensive, but alright - $3.