Shabby

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Lessons from Trash

A group of us sat around a circular table chatting after a simple meal together. We had few things in common with each other, representing nations spread all across the globe. The two things we did have in common were loving Jesus and having spent time cleaning rubbish at the nearby refugee camp. Laughter began to circulate as crazy stories were shared: things we'd clean, people who'd helped us, what we'd seen, etc. I know it sounds absurd, but it was an incredibly bonding time together.

The leader of our group shared how a few weeks prior he'd spent the day cleaning disgusting filth, only to be invited to preach at a nearby church the following morning. From a position of lowliness to a place revered in a matter of hours! As he was preparing to preach, the thought came to his mind that very few people are in this position. Powerful lessons had been gained from the humility of cleaning another person's filth. Perhaps more street sweepers should be given a chance to preach?! But then another thought entered his mind: "Perhaps the other way would be more accurate: more pastors should occasionally take a position of street sweepers!"

I've found it interesting that when I'm serving tea and soup in the tent or playing with children, people from other organizations or even the refugees approach me and are interested in conversing. I'm from America, I've studied at a university, I've worked various jobs, traveled, and I have a family they'd like to hear more about. But when I don the gloves, grab the dust pan and broom, it is like I become an entirely different person! Most people don't acknowledge me, eye contact is avoided, and few words are spoken. I have become the lowest of the low at the camp in that moment. At times my pride has been insulted, and I am angry that I'm treated differently- don't they know who I am!? But most of the time I like to try to redeem the humanity of a person of lowly stature. I greet them, I smile, I am funny, and I watch how their demeanor changes. It's also fun to use my low position to elevate others in similar places. The porta-potty cleaners have become my friends that I'm always excited to see. Neither have their teeth or any sense of propriety, but they light up when they see me now. Most people don't acknowledge them or even look their way. It's almost like we are afraid of what is unclean, as if it will contaminate us or our reputation. We spend so much time trying to climb up, that to look down would harm something about us.

When I think about Christ, I think the picture of becoming a trash cleaner in a refugee camp fits His leaving heaven quite well! The things I've seen and had to do are unmentionable in most circles, but how much more Christ in all His glory, perfection, and holiness to come to our vile, filthy, sin-ridden planet to live among us in suffering, lack, and brokenness!! He chose humility not just at the cross, but actually with His entire 33 years among humanity. My mind can't wrap around this very well!

As we wrapped up our discussion at the table that evening, the leader stated that rubbish cleaning has been one of the most powerful times of worship for him. In fact, the song: "Here I am to worship, here I am to bow down..." plays on repeat in his head. What a picture of worship: bowing down to clean the filth of another... A sweet picture of Christ! May we all have chances to be more like Him in His humility.

No comments: